Monday, November 26, 2012

What early readers think of Infinite Sky...

I'm a  l i t t l e  excited today, as I just got a really lovely blurb from Keith Gray, award-winning writer of Creepers and Ostrich Boys.

He says this about Infinite Sky:

"I think a lot of people are going to be surprised that it's a debut novel from someone in their 20s - most of us writers probably need twice as many years and at least half a dozen books to get that good… So I hope it does brilliantly. I'll definitely be including it in my YA roundup for the Scotsman in the new year. Thanks again for sending it through and introducing me to a fantastic new author."





I also got a nice quote from Simmone Howell, award-winning writer of Notes From The Teenage Underground and Everything Beautiful:

"Infinite Sky is beautiful. It made me cry on the train! I love how the place and the 'natural world' is like a character and how it reads contemporary and classic at the same time. I love the romance - how it's more than a romance, really, and not at all sentimental or typical. I can't wait to see the reception it gets - I think there will be big love!"

Here's some things book bloggers and other early readers have been saying:

"...one to watch out for. [Infinite Sky] is the best type of real-life fiction for young adults, full of messy old emotions and small conflicts that sometimes lead to unexpected and devastating consequences. It felt so genuine as I was reading it, and Iris is one of the most believable characters I can remember ever encountering; I almost recognise her. - Sarah Watkins from And Then I Read A Book

"...I chose Infinite Sky by C.J. Flood, mostly because I'd been hearing wonderful things about it already.  And oh, it is a beautiful book.  It's got a lovely cover, and I really fell in love with the story and the characters.  I found myself crying my eyes out, and I do so love such an emotional story that is written incredibly well." - Michelle at Fluttering Butterflies

"Stunning book, inside and out." - Claire Wilson, literary agent at RCW

And finally, my editor, Venetia Gosling, says this:

"Infinite Sky is one of the books I’m most excited about publishing next year. Simply and beautifully written, it’s the heart-breaking story of the summer Iris experiences love and loss for the first time.When Iris’s mum leaves home, her brother, Sam, goes off the rails and her dad is left trying to hold it all together.  So when a family of travellers sets up camp illegally in front of their farm, it’s the catalyst for a stand-off that can only end in disaster.  But to 13-year-old Iris, it’s all an adventure.  She secretly strikes up a friendship with the gypsy boy, Trick, and discovers that home can be something as simple as a carved out circle in a field full of corn…Starting as it ends, with a funeral, Infinite Sky keeps us guessing about the identity of the boy Iris is left mourning – is it her tearaway brother, Sam, or Trick, her tentative new boyfriend?  The conclusion is devastating, and will make you cry. A stunning read from a really talented new author - whose writing reminds me of early Meg Rosoff and David Almond - this is a book to fall in love with. I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did." 

Release date isn't until February 14th next year, but the book is available for pre-order on Amazon. There's an advanced reader copy giveaway at Good Reads too. 


4 comments:

  1. Keith Gray!!!!!!! Simmone Howell!!!!!!!!

    Congrats, CJ. You totally and utterly deserve such stellar blurbs for your wonderful book. x

    ReplyDelete