Wednesday, June 13, 2012

How to fundraise with your writing...


One of the best things that has happened since I got my book deal is being able to help raise money for charities using my writing skills. Sometimes it can all be a bit self-absorbed and lonesome, writing full time. Necessarily, you spend a long time wandering the hinterlands of your own imagination. It's pretty marvellous when someone (real) outside of the hinterland asks you to do something to help, and you can say yes.




A couple of months ago, I offered a critique as part of a package to raise money for Pens For Paws, which is an online auction with writers, artists, and others from the publishing community to raise funds for Fat Kitty City, a no-kill, cage-free cat sanctuary in El Dorado Hills that also rescues dogs (as foster homes allow). It's a great charity, and I was so pleased to be able to help fundraise for it.




This month I am offering two 5000 words crits as part of a package to raise money for Crits For Water, which is an online auction with authors, agents and editors offering critiques of manuscript extracts and query letters to fundraise for charity: water. My fellow Lucky 13 author, Erin Bowman, is also offering a 5000 word crit. Bidding starts today, so please go and have a look!

4 comments:

  1. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of these two organisations before but I think they both sound excellent. It's great to see people come up with new and different fundraiser ideas which catch people's attention and help to raise some serious cash for charities in what is a very difficult time for them. Good luck with your writing and I'm really glad that you're able to use your talent to help others too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post - really enjoyed reading this article. I've recently discovered Tony Charalambides fundraising blog - you should check it out.

    ReplyDelete