Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The house that I grew up in...

I grew up (from age 8 anyway) in the best house in the world. It's called Brook Farm and I love it more than all the other houses. Seeing as how I'm now a technical genius and can upload photos from my camera to my computer (I know, I'm incredible!) I thought I'd show it to you.

Nice, isn't it?

My first novel, Infinite Sky, is set in this magnificent ramshackle place. In the book it's called Silverweed Farm. To give you an idea of how cold this beloved house is in the winter, here's a photo of my bedroom window a few mornings ago. The ice is on the inside. That's right: where I am.

Leggings + pyjama bottoms + two jumpers + a hoody = still really f***ing cold actually

And talking of the book, I have my first author event coming up. It's at the 2012 Derbyshire Literature Festival. I will take part in a Q and A session with fellow YA author and Lucky 13, Emma Pass, whose debut novel ACID is out in early 2013 from Random House Children's Books, and poet Helen Mort, whose debut poetry collection Division Street is being published by Chatto and Windus, also in 2013. Recent Derbyshire Poet Laureate River Wolton will chair the event, so come and see us! Hear what we have to say...

And to continue the grand tradition, here too are some of my fairly inane Paris diaries. With pictures.

13 Janvier

J'aime ca ici! Is that how you say I love it here? I love it here! Eating carrot salad and taboulah in the park overlooking Notre Dame and having thoughts. I saw a scabby pigeon and my heart bled and I saw an even scabbier man and my heart bled even more. He shuffled head down, clasping a baguette like a microphone that he dribbled down. I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was terrible.





I've been writing in the library at Shakespeare and Co. It's the perfect place to work (I also sometimes sleep in here). There was no need for all that traipsing yesterday. My shift in the shop was great: the books, the smell, the people that come in to look at the books and smell the smell. I love all of it!

Shakespeare and Company's sexy library

4 comments:

  1. Nice blog - don't you just love those unexpected moments, even when they're sad? Your pigeon story reminded me of something I saw waiting for the bus once on the way home from work: a line of ducks, parents leading their young across the A52, traffic stopping to let them pass. Perhaps for every scabby pigeon there's a duckling narrowly avoiding a truck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorgeous thought, Orwell! Thanks for passing by. Hope you're well x

      Delete
  2. Love the photo of the farm in the snow - it looks magical. The handprint picture reminds me of the time we went away on holiday one Christmas and our heating went off. The house was so cold that when we got back that the phone, one of those old-fashioned sorts with a dial, had icicles hanging off it. Brr.

    Thanks for the mention, too. We will rock the Lit Fest! Yay! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by, Emma! And yey indeed to Derbyshire Lit fest. I wonder if we get tickets to see anything else? Let's try and make it so we do!

    Chelsey

    ReplyDelete